KUALA TERENGGANU (Star): Fifteen schools in Terengganu may have to be temporarily closed if the floods persist when the 2013 school session begins six days from now.
Terengganu Education Department director Zakaria Hussin said the department was prepared for any eventuality following major floods which were said to be the worst in the state in the last 10 years.
“If the floods do not subside, the 2013 schooling session for the affected schools will be delayed and replacement classes will be held every Saturday as in previous years.
“So far, the teachers and staffers of the affected schools have taken precautionary measures by keeping school property and important documents safe,” he said yesterday.
Zakaria hoped parents would seek information from the respective district education offices, police stations or Village Development and Security Committees on the status of the floods at their children’s schools.
Terengganu, Kelantan and Kedah are scheduled to begin the new schooling session on Jan 1, 2013 (Tuesday) while schools in other states will start on Jan 2 (Wednesday).